Baked apples with almonds
3 tablespoons chopped almonds
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 small Your Favorite apples, about 1 3/4 pounds total weight
½ cup apple juice
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons dark honey
2 teaspoons walnut oil or canola oil
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
• Toss together almonds, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon and
nutmeg until evenly mixed. Set aside.
• Apples can be left unpeeled or can be peeled if you like.
• Working from the stem end, core each apple, stopping 3/4 inch from the
bottom of the apple
• Divide almond mixture evenly among apples, pressing mixture into each cavity. Arrange apples upright in a heavy ovenproof frying pan or baking dish just large enough to hold them.
• Pour apple juice and water into pan.
• Drizzle honey and oil evenly over apple and cover pan snugly with aluminum foil.
• Bake until apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 50-60 minutes.
Recipe from The Mayo Clinic Cookbook